We’ve heard it’s been raining incessantly in Bengaluru or Bangalore, and what better thing to do on a rainy day than to curl up in a blanket and sip hot chocolate. Right? 100% wrong! When it rains, by all means step out and gorge on this delicious, piping hot food that practically makes the culinary culture of Bengaluru. Here’s our list:
- Bun Nippat Masala– A local invention, Bun Nippat Masala is Bangalore’s favorite street chat. Made with onions, carrots, nippat and loads of masala between two buns, this dish is a must-try specialty from Bangalore.
- Momos– Steamed or fried, veg or chicken, momos have always been on the top of the favorites list for Bangaloreans. You’ll find them in any restaurant, by the street side and in college canteens. With a major part of the North-Eastern crowd of India having moved to Bangalore, the city gets to explore a huge variety of food items from that part of the country. Momo is essentially a type of a dumpling native to Tibet, filled with vegetables or meat and served with spicy chilli garlic sauce.
The best momos around the town can be found on the streets. You can also try our rich delicious momos on the Faasos app, we bet we won’t disappoint.
- Idly Vada, Mysore Masala Dosa, Kesari Bhath– Be it summer or winter, the Bangalorean taste bud never find it wanting. If you are in Bangalore, get yourselves to a local restaurant and order for a delicious plate of Idly Vada which is served in a tangy hot Sambhar. Unless, of course, you are a rice person, then Kesari Bhath- an aromatic sweet rice made with dry fruits – will leave you asking for more. To round the southern palate off, you can also opt for a Mysore Masala Dosa which has always been a Bangalore favorite! Filled with mashed potatoes & vegetables, which are cooked with a heady mix of spices, this makes for a healthy, filling meal.
- Biryani– Being a metropolitan city, Bangalore is home to a plethora of cuisines, especially the ones from neighboring states. Ambur Biryani, Hyderabadi Biryani or simply the most loved Shaadi Ki Biryani- they are all worth a try.
- All-American Cheese Burger- If you really want to have fast food the way it should be had, Bangalore is your place. Believe it or not, the All-American Cheese Burger, mainly found at one of the most famous restaurant chains- Truffles- has made it seamlessly to the best grabs in Bangalore irrespective of such an occidental name. Did someone talk of intolerance in India?
- Pancakes and Waffles– While in Mumbai we have to look up for special pancake and waffle corners, in Bengaluru it’s ubiquitous. What’s more interesting is seeing a rapid increase of modern taste in the crowd that is young, wild and free, and always willing to accept changes and new things, when it comes to Food and Bangalore. This city witnesses few of the best dessertaries in the country and we insist on overdosing on sugar for sure! Atleast in this city!
We will come back next Thursday with top 5 in Mumbai. Meanwhile should you think you have an eatery in mind which is outright brilliant and we have missed it, tell us! Happy day.